Saturday, February 7, 2009

Home again, home again...

...back in the the fray.

I returned home, picked up my dog (Az has been at the kennel for a week and is too SKINNY!), and got my head ready for what can best be called re-entry into my professional life.

This evening, I attended a meeting of the United Pilates Collective, formerly known as the Bay Area Pilates Collective. I wasn't so sure I was going to attend, but being duty-bound by my RSVP, I went.

I am almost always glad I do these things. I get to reconnect with others in my profession, catch up with them, lament our mutual woes (economy, anyone?), and have the privilege of sharing time with others who really want to make a difference in people's lives.

What this post is really about are two people: Nancy Myers and Tracy Sylvester. Ladies, if I spelled your names wrong, my apologies. These two remarkable women have taken it upon themselves to bring together a group of professionals that is in need of unification. To date, they are doing a bang-up job of it.

These two are doing this all gratis. That's right; they do it for free. From where I sit, it appears they are pouring their hearts, souls, and finances into creating a productive and beneficial organization that works to serve the Pilates professional. The thing I find so refreshing and remarkable is the fact that they want to be able to provide potential members with a list of services...tangible benefits...BEFORE they actually sign-up members.

Thus far, they have hosted most of the events, done all of the research, acquired health insurance for future members (remember, there is no paying membership as yet), and have become the process of putting together relevant committees to help create an organization that works for the professional and not the other way around.

Labours of love. Where the heck did they go? Maybe I am too cynical, but I find that people like Tracy and Nancy are pretty tough to come by:

Committed
Generous
Hard-working
Inclusive

So tonight's post is for all of you out there, like Nancy and Tracy, who are willing and able to dedicate their most valuable asset...THEIR TIME...to make something happen that will benefit such a large group of people. And for those of us who think we SHOULD be doing something? Let's get off of the fence and step into it, whatever "it" may be.

Give.

As long as it is positive...

...just give.

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment